"Never before in my career have I been able to develop such an in depth global perspective on the art scene. In the past two years, through my Chair of Excellence grant, I have now had the experience of personally viewing and photographing four major international survey exhibitions, and numerous other museum exhibitions in the US and Europe.
My greatest success is the catalog of over 4,000 photographs I have taken. I am very, very happy about the quality of them. I am particularly happy because the vantage points of my photographs greatly exceed what is available in any commercial publication to date. I have taken overview shots, mid-range shots, and many details. This will allow the art and art history instructors to show the work in a more in depth manner." -Anne Marie Kalsen
The Chairs of Excellence are grants awarded to exceptional faculty members striving for innovative avenues to advance the opportunities of our students in this global environment.
The Chairs of Excellence have been established for specific academic disciplines by the generous donations of individuals and corporations. Each chair is established with an endowment of $100,000 or more, and maintained as separate fund within the permanently restricted portfolio of The Santa Monica College Foundation.
Each applicant is required to submit a proposal for the 3-year project. The $15,000 is awarded over the 3-year period at $5,000 per academic year.
CHAIRS OF EXCELLENCE
- Avaya Inc. & Anixter, Inc. COE in Life Science
- Northrop Grumman/Elkin COE in Physical Science
- John F. Drescher COE in Earth Science
- Ilona Jo Katz COE in Music
- Jose Luiz Nazar COE in Performing Arts
- Sam Francis/Martin Sosin COE in Art
- The Providence Saint John’s Health Center COE in Nursing
- The SMC Foundation COE in Philosophy & Social Science
- The Carol & Bill Ouchi COE in Business
- The President's Circle COE in Communication
CURRENTLY SEEKING APPLICATIONS FOR:
Business - The Carol and Bill Ouchi Chair
Music - The Ilona J. Katz Chair
Nursing - The Providence Saint John's Health Center Chair
- Respiratory Therapy Now Eligibile
Physical Science - The Northrop Grumman/Elkin Chair
DEADLINE: Sunday, December 31, 2017
APPLICATION Please submit application via email to the SMC Foundation at email@example.com.
Click here for application.
1. A 2-page proposal for a three-year project
2. Budget page which identifies how funds will be spent each of the thee (3) academic years
3. Curriculum vitae/résumé
4. Application cover sheet, signed by Department Chair
1. Summarize your proposal request including goals and outcomes.
2. Why is this grant necessary to achieve your stated goals and outcomes?
3. How will your project impact student success?
4. How will this enhance your professional development?
Applicants must be full-time faculty in the Chair’s designated discipline. NOTE: Seniority at SMC is not a factor; new faculty are encouraged to apply.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The selection committee will meet prior to the end of the academic year, at which time finalists may be asked to make a 10-15 minute presentation in defense of their proposal.
The recipient is announced during Faculty Flex day in March 2018.
DISBURSMENT OF AWARDS
- Recipient must submit a W-9 form for the distribution of award and is responsible for reporting award to IRS.
- Funds are dispersed in increments of $5,000 per academic year, over a 3-year period. Recipients may select payment in one of the three following ways:
1. Full amount in September (Fall);
2. Full amount in February (Spring); or,
3. ½ in September and ½ February
- A final report is required by September 1, 2018 detailing expected goals and current and future outcomes as a result of the award; and,
Final accounting of expenditures.
Including photos and quotes from students, faculty and staff are greatly appreciated.
- Including photos and quotes from students, faculty and staff are greatly appreciated.
THE SELECTION COMMITTEE
The selection committee will be comprised of college administrators, SMCF board members and/or Foundation donors.