"Never before in my career have I been able to develop such an in depth global perspective on the art scene. In the past two years, through my Chair of Excellence grant, I have now had the experience of personally viewing and photographing four major international survey exhibitions, and numerous other museum exhibitions in the US and Europe.
My greatest success is the catalog of over 4,000 photographs I have taken. I am very, very happy about the quality of them. I am particularly happy because the vantage points of my photographs greatly exceed what is available in any commercial publication to date. I have taken overview shots, mid-range shots, and many details. This will allow the art and art history instructors to show the work in a more in depth manner." -Anne-Marie Karlsen
The Chairs of Excellence are grants awarded to exceptional faculty members striving for innovative avenues to advance the opportunities of our students in this global environment with an equity-centric lens at the forefront of their proposal.
The Chairs of Excellence have been established for specific academic disciplines by the generous donations of individuals and corporations. Each chair is established with an endowment of $100,000 or more, and maintained as separate fund within the permanently restricted portfolio of The Santa Monica College Foundation.
Each applicant is required to submit a proposal for the three year project. The $15,000 is awarded over the three year period at $5,000 per academic year.
CHAIRS OF EXCELLENCE LIST
Avaya Inc. Chair of Excellence for Life Sciences
John F. Drescher Chair of Excellence for Earth Science or Environmental Science/Studies (Currently Accepting Applications)
Sam Francis/Marty Sosin Chair of Excellence in Art or Photography
Jose Luiz Nazar Chair of Excellence - Performing Arts
Ilona Jo Katz Chair of Excellence in Music (Currently Accepting Applications)
Northrop Grunman/Elkin Chair of Excellence for Physical Science
Carol & Bill Ouchi Chair of Excellence in Business or CSIS
Providence St. John's Health Center Chair of Excellence for Nursing or Respiratory Therapy (Currently Accepting Applications)
SMC Foundation Chair of Excellence in History, Philosophy or Social Science
SMC Foundation Chair of Excellence for Communications, English or Media Studies
Application and Awards Cycle
ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA
Who may apply?
- Only full-time faculty in the Chair’s designated discipline may apply.
- Proposals must be approved by their department chair.
The Selection Committee reviews the proposals with the following priorities in mind:
- Professional development of the faculty member can be included as part of the stated goal as long as it pertains directly to a positive impact on student outcomes.
- Proposals must clearly state how the funds will be used to meet the stated goals.
- Selection Committee will meet in April. Decisions will be rendered and formally announced immediately following.
Please submit application via email to the SMC Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for application.
1. Application cover sheet
2. A two-page proposal for the three-year project
3. Clear, itemized budget page which identifies how funds will be spent each of the three (3) academic years.
4. Provide two specific metrics for each of the three (3) years as part of the application process due by March 1st, 2022. Impact on student equity, student experience, innovation and SMC vision are encouraged;
5. A sustainability plan with a brief, explanation of how your efforts will carry through years beyond the grant funding. The sustainability plan’s intent is designed to consider how changes, new ideas and innovations can endure beyond year three of the award.
6. Additional requirements if awarded: All COE grantees will be required to present one (1) workshop on the topic awarded at the spring Faculty Flex Day during the second year of their award.
THE SELECTION COMMITTEE
- The selection committee is comprised of college administrators, SMCF Board members and administrators, and appropriate donors or other fund representatives.
- Finalists may be asked to explain their proposals in a 10-minute presentation to the selection committee.
- Member(s) from the SMCF Chairs of Excellence Review Committee may opt to review my grant on an annual basis.
At the end of each academic year, awarded chairs are required to submit to the Foundation a progress report stating what goals were and were not achieved, and why.
March 1st, 2022