GIFTS OF CASH OR APPRECIATED SECURITIES
Cash or appreciated securities are the most common ways to donate and can be given as either an expendable or endowed gift.
Benefits for cash gifts:
- Allows you to see immediate results of your generosity
- Provides immediate tax benefits
- Deduct up to 50% of your annual adjusted gross income for cash gifts
- Carry over excess deductions for up to five years
Benefits for appreciated securities:
- Twice the tax savings
- Income tax deduction for full-fair market value if you’ve held the security for more than one year
- Avoid capital gains tax on appreciation
If used to make a bequest or fund a charitable trust, gift annuity or other gift arrangement, you may realize substantial estate and gift tax savings as well. In either case, you claim a charitable gift deduction of up to 30% your annual adjusted gross income.